Bishop Thomas Wenski Says Defend Life and Marriage: There Can Be No other Legitimate Catholic Position
As Catholics, we best contribute to our democratic process by voting as faith filled and faithful citizens
The Church -clergy and laity- while agreeing to disagree on other matters of prudential judgment cannot but oppose the evils of abortion, euthanasia, fetal stem cell research, human cloning and so called same sex "marriage." In these areas, there can be no other legitimate Catholic position.
Most Reverend Thomas Wenski Archbishop of Miami
MIAMI, FL (Catholic Online) - I have written about Archbishop Thomas Wenski of Miami, Florida before. He is one of my heroes. In 2010 an Archdiocese which is home to 900,000 Catholics and one of the most beautiful Cities in the Nation, Miami, Florida welcomed home a native born son to serve as its Fourth Archbishop. They received a great gift.
This American of Polish stock looks like he could have come from the same home town as the Blessed John Paul II. His first assignment was to a Hispanic parish. He spent a substantial amount of his ministry in the early years building and leading a dynamic Haitian apostolate, the Pierre Toussaint Haitian Catholic Center in Miami.
A vibrant witness to the true meaning of Catholic Social Teaching's call to a love of preference for the poor, the Center Fr. Wenski helped to build embodied it. The center provided social, educational, legal and life assistance to Haitian immigrants. In fact, his love for the people of Haiti led him to that suffering Nation right after January's quake. He is an ardent champion of immigrants and a supporter of true immigration reform.
In 1997 he was consecrated as a successor to the Apostles and served as an auxiliary Bishop of Miami. Then, in 2004 he was called to serve the Diocese of Orlando. There he led the Diocese in an extensive period of strengthening its mission and identity. He did an extraordinary job.
In 2009 I had the privilege of meeting Bishop Wenski and serving as his Deacon at Holy Mass. I will never forget meeting him. It took place at that beautiful Church dedicated to Our Lady, planted, by design, smack dab in the middle of the tourist sites to serve as a missionary outpost and spiritual pilgrimage site.
When Bishop Wenski came to greet us, I immediately liked him. He has smiling eyes and a down to earth, humble, inviting demeanor. Of course, as many of my readers know, my champion in life is the soon to be Blessed John Paul II. When I met Bishop Wenski I immediately thought of the late Pope.
He invited me to serve as his deacon at the Sacred Liturgy. It was one of the many honors of the years I have been ordained. His presence at the altar, love of the Lord and living faith had a deep impact upon me and all who were present at Mass.
This is a Bishop truly in love with Jesus and clearly comfortable in his apostolic office. Throughout the weekend, he stayed with the participants at the conference and made everyone feel comfortable, exuding the demeanor of a spiritual father. This is a strong leader in an age desperately in need of true strength.
His courageous policy positions are well known. He embraces Catholic Social Doctrine in its fullness, as it is rightly understood. A friend of the immigrant and the poor he is also of necessity a strong defender of every human person from conception to natural death and at every age and stage.
That includes children in the first home of the whole human race, those whom Mother Teresa rightly called the "poorest of the poor". He does not back down from controversy as evidenced when he offered a Mass of Reparation after the University of Notre Dame conferred an honorary Doctor of Law degree on President Obama.
He helped lead important efforts such as the delivery of 75 tons of food to Cuba after a devastating hurricane. He is still affirmed for his personal visit to Haiti after the devastating earthquake. He is well known for his love for the people of Haiti. He is not liberal, or conservative, he is Catholic - to the bone.
Last year, on Saturday March 26, 2011, he penned an editorial as "Thomas Wenski" in the Sun Sentinel newspaper entitled "Traditional marriage predates all of us" His defense of the truth about marriage were crystal clear. He did not rely on his clerical title to commend his clear defense of authentic marriage.
He knows that the truth about marriage - and the family and society founded upon it - is strong enough for its own defense. It is written in the Natural law and knowable by all men and women through the exercise of right reason. It simply takes men and women of courage to articulate it.
In an age when too many are eager to denigrate our Bishops, I regularly try to call attention to the many courageous men like Archbishop Thomas Wenski whoserve the Church. They need our prayer, and deserve our respect.
Now, weeks before one of the most important elections in US history, this wonderful Archbishop has again shown courage - and proper pastoral concern for the faithful and for the Nation. He issued a letter which was published in every parish bulletin ...
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- 'Journalism has been criminalized' Juan Williams declares
- Documents reveal US drone policy is scandalously indiscriminate
- Special Report from the Virginia Republican Nominating Convention: A Time To Choose - Life
- Lois Learner pleads the 5th. Was she the crook behind it or was she following orders from higher up?
- Sick of deception! Democrat threatens IRS with appointment of special prosecutor
- FOURTH OBAMA SCANDAL: Did HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius solicit funds for nonprofit group?
- Carney still insists nobody told Obama about IRS investigation
- State Department insider warns more whistle-blowers to come on Benghazi scandal
- Hillary better be prepared, House Oversight and Government Reform chairman Darrell Issa says
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?