Biggest 'October surprise' in U.S. political history set to go off if Obama is re-elected
President shaving $8.3 billion from popular Medicare program
If U.S. President Barack Obama is re-elected in this coming autumn,
millions of seniors stand to lose their benefits under the Medicare
Advantage program. This wouldn't sit well with senior voters, who
dutifully go to the polls without fail and are keenly aware of medical
benefits due to be cut. So - the Obama administration has an $8.3
billion plan - taken from taxpayer dollars to deliberately muddy the
'ObamaCare' won't kick in until after the 2012 election, when the president will no longer be answerable to voters.
The funds will arrive from funds that Health and Human Services is allowed to use for "demonstration projects." In order to make it pass, HHS has to pretend that it's doing an "experiment" to study the effect of this money on the insurance market.
In short, "study" is what happens when the government doesn't change anything but merely continues a program that's been going on for years.
Twelve million U.S. seniors have relied on Medicare Advantage, a more market-oriented alternative to traditional Medicare, without the aggravating gaps in coverage.
But as part of its hundreds of billions in Medicare cuts under so-called "ObamaCare," the Obama one-size-fits-all plan slashes reimbursement rates for Medicare Advantage starting next year, which will send many seniors back into the government-run program.
Under federal "open-enrollment" guidelines, seniors must pick their Medicare coverage program for next year by the end of this year - which means they should be finding out before Election Day.
Making matters even more disadvantageous for Obama is that open enrollment begins Oct. 15, less than three weeks before voters go to the polls.
For the time being, Obama can temporarily prop up Medicare Advantage long enough to get re-elected by exploiting an obscure bit of federal law. Under a 1967 statute, the HHS secretary can spend money without specific approval by Congress on "experiments" directly aimed at "increasing the efficiency and economy of health services."
The point is to find ways to lower the costs of Medicare by allowing medical technocrats to make efficient decisions without interference from vested interests.
"ObamaCare" won't kick in until after the 2012 election, when the president will no longer be answerable to voters.
Many feel that Congress should immediately launch an investigation into this unprecedented misuse of taxpayer money and violation of the public trust, which certainly presses the boundaries of legality and very well may breach them.
If he's not stopped, the president will spend $8 billion in taxpayer funds for a scheme to mask the debilitating effects on seniors of his signature piece of legislation just long enough to get himself re-elected.
© 2012, Catholic Online. Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: President Barack Obama, Medicare Advantage, ObamaCare, study
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Attorney General approved warrant for Fox reporter's emails
- 'Journalism has been criminalized' Juan Williams declares
- Documents reveal US drone policy is scandalously indiscriminate
- Special Report from the Virginia Republican Nominating Convention: A Time To Choose - Life
- Lois Learner pleads the 5th. Was she the crook behind it or was she following orders from higher up?
- Sick of deception! Democrat threatens IRS with appointment of special prosecutor
- FOURTH OBAMA SCANDAL: Did HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius solicit funds for nonprofit group?
- Carney still insists nobody told Obama about IRS investigation
- State Department insider warns more whistle-blowers to come on Benghazi scandal
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?