Terror attacks in Libya more sophisticated than previously thought
Still no explanation why Obama lied about them.
Throughout September, Obama insisted the attacks were merely a demonstration gone awry.
Al-Qaeda in Iraq fighters are also suspected of aiding the opposition in Syria.
The late US Ambassador, Chris Stevens even told US officials as early as 2008, that the nearby village of Derna was supplying al Qaeda in Iraq with fighters.
Previously, the work was believed to be the responsibility of the smaller, less effective Islamic Maghreb, a North African al Qaeda affiliate. Now knowing that al Qaeda in Iraq was involved suggests that the attacks were far more sophisticated than previously thought.
Intelligence officials say the well-organized attack came in two waves. The first wave contained 35 to 40 fighters with at least a dozen of them being connected to al Qaeda in Iraq or Islamic Maghreb. A second wave struck a smaller compound about a mile away a few hours later.
Both attacks produced two American fatalities each.
Other fighters are believed to be tied to extremist groups in both Egypt and Tunisia. At least one of the attackers is said to have been arrested in Turkey and deported to custody in Tunisia, but the US has been denied access to him.
The FBI and CIA are still investigating the matter, according to Obama administration officials.
Now public emails suggest that the White House was made aware of the true nature of the attacks in Benghazi within hours. Despite these understandings, President Obama continued to blame the attacks on a spontaneous protest against an anti-Muslim video posted to YouTube in the US. It is now known that no protests were actually occurring in Libya.
It remains unclear just why Obama chose to lie to the American people about the attacks, and why he persisted in that lie, even after the emails and other evidence of terrorism came to light.
Republicans are pointing to this as a failure of the Obama administration's foreign and security policies. Obama says he did everything he could with the information he had.
That statement is functionally correct. He took the information he had, and lied to the American people.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Al Qaeda in Iraq, terrorism, Benghazi, Chris Stevens
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Africa News
- U.S. diplomat says that Special Ops were Halted in Benghazi Attacks
- After the revolution - Starvation and regret become commonplace in Egypt
- More than 60 people killed in unlicensed Darfur gold mine collapse
- U.N.: Somalia famine of 2010 - 2012 killed more than a quarter million people
- The first 'techopolis' - Hope City - to be built in Africa sooner than you think
- Real-life Atlantis uncovered in Egyptian coastline
- Egyptian Muslims murdering Christians with impunity
- New discovery: Egypt's oldest harbor, collection of papyrus uncovered
- Video of starving North Korean boy goes viral
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?