The North Korean 'Dear Successor' marries
North Korean leader, Kim Jong Eun appears in public with his new wife.
North Korea is happily announcing the marriage of leader Kim Jong Eun to a young, slender woman, identified as, "Comrade Ri Sol Ju." The pair has been seen in public on numerous occasion, leading to speculation regarding her role.
Kim Jong Eun and his new wife, Ri Sol Ju.
Kim and Ri have made several public appearances, and either she is a good actress or she genuinely loves him. On several occasions the two have been seen close to one another, sometimes with Ri leaning in towards him and the couple even touching. For the ultra-conservative, secretive regime, this is an astounding development.
And while Kim and his retainer appear dressed in fine clothes, their suits appear quite similar and dark, almost like uniforms. However, Ri's apparel is bright and cheery by comparison. Ri is often seen wearing yellows and reds with polka-dots. She has also been seen wearing a knee-length skirt.
While this alone is a sign of change, there is no sign that change will be coming for the ordinary citizens of the country.
Kim has now led the reclusive state for seven months, following the death of his father last December. Hopes for swift reform have been dashed as Kim has spent the last several months consolidating his power.
Crackdowns on critics have continued and several high-ranking officials have been dismissed, their powers handed to Kim who now sits at the head of the military as well as the Worker's Party. And people who have attempted to flee the country have also been arrested and punished.
Kim might still show himself to be a reformer, but it will take more than an attractive young wife to prove it to the rest of the world.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: North Korea, Kim Jong Eun, Ri Sol Ju, reform
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Asia Pacific News
- Pakistan leads world in gay pornography Internet searches
- Rape and molestation violence against women increases by six percent in India
- GRISLY VENGEANCE: Teenager decapitates father after he raped her
- 'We watch the drones all day long in fear' - Pakistanis come out to protest U.S. drones
- China launches three-member crew into space to dock with space lab
- Husband carries ailing wife on back for 40 km to hospital but unborn baby dies
- Young Indian nurse dies slow, agonizing death after acid attack
- China: More Censorship and Arrests on the Anniversary of Tiananmen
- Condemned to death: Heartbreaking film documents plight of gang-rape victim
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?