US Bishops sue Obama to win your freedom
Catholic bishops are struggling to preserve the religious freedom of all Americans.
The bishops have issued a call to action in a bulletin to be distributed to all parishioners this June.
The use of contraceptives and abortifacients is considered to be a gravely immoral act according to Natural Law and the teachings of the Catholic Church. To be compelled to pay into a system that provides such services effectively makes Catholics participants in evil.
Catholics would be forced to pay into the system which would use tax dollars and monies collected from premiums to pay for sterilizations, contraceptives, abortifacients, and even abortions. These payments would be mandated under the individual mandate, the part of the plan that requires all Americans to purchase health insurance or to pay a penalty.
The bishops realize what is at stake and acknowledge that in their statement. "When fundamental human goods, such as the right of conscience, are at stake, we may need to witness to the truth by resisting the law and incurring its penalties."
The bishops are also calling for an extended period of prayer and action to begin on June 21 and culminate on July 4. The dates of the vigil are not accidental. June 21 is the feast day of St. John Fisher, A catholic Cardinal who was beheaded by Henry VIII for his refusal to take an oath that Henry was the new head of the church in England. And July 4th is independence day when Americans gather to celebrate the birth of America and the freedoms given by God and codified in the Bill of Rights.
The President continues to insist in speeches that it is important to provide these services at no cost to women across the country. However there should be no illusion that these "services" constitute health care. The entire purpose of these services is to inhibit and take human life, which is the antithesis of health. Meanwhile, millions of Americans struggle to cope with rising health care costs and many cannot afford basic life saving medications - which are by no means provided free in accord with any government mandate.
Meanwhile, the Obama administration has made much of its "exemption" that would spare the Catholic church and other "religious organizations" from being compelled to pay into the system that finances activity which the Church finds objectionable. However, other religious institutions such as Catholic schools, universities, hospitals and charities are not covered under the religious exemption.
Therefore, the stage is set for a showdown in the courts. The bishops say (on behalf of all) "What we ask is nothing more than the right to follow our consciences as we live out our teaching."
Of course the struggle for that right may be much tougher and more arduous than presently considered. Fortunately, the bishops are of brave stock and have God and justice on their side.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Catholic, HHS, religious Freedom, Obama, mandate, abortion
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Living Faith News
- Pope Francis says atheists can do good and go to heaven too!
- Receiving the Eucharist: I Have Decided to Kneel For Jesus
- Exorcism or not, it's still a miracle
- The Holy Spirit: Sanctifier and Giver of Life, Love and Truth
- Pope Francis tweets his prayers following devastation in Moore
- The Paraclete: The Counselor Who Helps Us Fulfill Our Calling
- Pope Francis calls for change within the Church
- Atheists to have their books placed atop Gideon Bibles
- Killer whale with missing fins cared for by its pod family
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?