Ukrainian scientists unsure if they've found an actual Chupacabra
Mysterious creature that preyed upon goats was thought to be folklore
The famous creature of popular lore, the "Chupacabra" was described by
many as a tiny, gray creature that would feast on the blood of goats and
chickens. There were plenty of reports from people who had claimed to
have seen one - but no hard physical evidence. Now - scientists in the
Ukraine have discovered a gray, fanged creature that fits the
description of the Chupacabra.
Some believe that it could be a 'mutant' fox poisoned by radiation. Another theory was that it was possibly a hybrid originating from a Soviet plant conducting tests on animals relating to chemical or biological weapons development.
Grey in color, sporting "fangs" and a longish neck, it has shorter front legs, making it resemble a kangaroo, while retaining the likeness to a dog and a fox.
Some believe that it could be a "mutant" fox poisoned by radiation. Another theory was that it was possibly a hybrid originating from a Soviet plant conducting tests on animals relating to chemical or biological weapons development.
"A creature we were not supposed to see has escaped from a secret defense lab," one witness claimed.
"The animal doesn\'t look like a fox or a wolf, or a raccoon," Mikhail Ilchenko, deputy head of the district veterinary service in Mikhailovskoe says.
"It cannot even be a marten. I have never seen such animal before. But, judging by the fangs, I can definitely say that it is a predator.'
The skinny, short-haired creature was taken to the Zoological Museum of Zaporozhye National University.
"There is something common with a fox, and a dog," director Alexander Korotya says.
Another theory posited is that the creature could be a coyote infected by parasites. Another animal was discovered last July following a fatal attack on livestock.
The first reported "Chupacabra" sighting was in 1995, when eight sheep were found dead in Puerto Rico with identical puncture wounds to the chest and completely drained of blood.
More mysterious death led to the spread of the "Chupacabra" myth in Latin America.
There have been isolated attacks carried out by the creature across South and Central America, and even into New Mexico and Texas.
"But I cannot identify what kind of animal it is. For example, its canine teeth are similar to a fox, but smaller in size - like a marten.
"Yet a marten has a different type of skull. If to compare with an otter\'s head, then the ears are too small. It has a wide nose and a stretched muzzle.
"My opinion is that its most likely a hybrid animal or a mutant," Ilchenko says.
© 2012, Catholic Online. Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Chupacabra, fox, Ukraine, mutant, cyptozoology
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Green News
- NOAA issues warning to expect more hurricanes this year
- Your help is needed: Scientist seeks help in mapping global emissions
- Lovely but deadly - beautiful bubbles in Canadian lake are flammable methane gas
- Oldest water in the world discovered beneath the earth's surface
- There's the problem! Americans are out of touch with scientific consensus on climate change
- Rare event, two Alaskan volcanoes simultaneously erupt
- Why are scientists in Cancun worried about melting snow on Mt. Everest?
- Atmospheric carbon dioxide hits 400 ppm, so why should we care?
- Sea level rise already forcing changes in Caribbean, other island nations
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?