Virginia North LE - Wildlife Center releases golden eagle
Virginia Wildlife Center released rehabbed golden eagle.
A 4-year-old golden eagle has been released after a three-month rehabilitation period at the Virginia Wildlife Center.
A 4-year-old golden eagle has been released after a three-month rehabilitation period.
"If you can chuck them off a cliff or a really steep slope, then they'll go toward the horizon and they'll go. That's what we'll go for today," veterinarian Dr. Dave McRuer told the group, however was not sure if this would happen for sure. "Once we give him a toss, we don't know exactly what this bird will do."
The bird expanded its 7-foot wing span, and after a few minutes, McRuer held the bird above his head and tossed him in the air. The bird, to everyone's relief, took off and sped out of view.
Then, after a few moments, something happened that no one expected. The eagle circled back and flew around the spectators for a couple minutes, until a red-tailed hawk drove him off
"That doesn't happen often," McRuer said of the bird circling back. "That bird, if it wants to, it could be in Pennsylvania by this evening."
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: nature, golden eagle, wildlife, rehabbed, rescue
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Green News
- MYSTERY SOLVED? NASA geologist may have found out secret behind 'sailing stones'
- United Nations says world population nearing 7.2 billion
- Was world-famous iceman mummy the victim of foul play?
- Secret wildfires - 'understory fires' taking momentous toll on Amazon rain forest
- Shutting down: Two reactors inside San Onofre Nuclear Plant to be retired
- A Catholic Way of Being Green: Pope Francis Calls Us to Care for Each Other and Creation in a Culture of Solidarity
- Ocean of tires in Kuwait can be seen from outer space
- BACK FROM EXTINCTION: Extinct for 60 years, Hula Painted Frog rediscovered
- The six-foot reptile weighed more than 60 pounds 'Lizard King' named after rock star Jim Morrison
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?